Monday, June 30, 2008

Colby

I know - you should be impressed - 3 posts today... Anyway, I just had a few extra minutes & was thinking.

I took Colby to his pediatrician a few weeks ago because we've been noticing that he walks on the insides of his feet. He confirmed that his arches are not forming correctly & referred us to an orthotist to make inserts for his shoes. We met with them the following week & they casted his feet to get a mold for the inserts. He did NOT like them taking off the molds with the loud blade!

Today we went back to have them fitted. He was very hesitant to go to the appointment. But, after they put in the inserts he was jumping around & saying how much he liked how they felt! Amazing. I am so thankful that he didn't instantly cry or say he didn't like them.

I was talking to him about wearing the inserts after his appointment. I told him he could choose if he told his friends or not about wearing them. As his mother, I certainly don't want him to be made fun of for anything, especially something that will hopefully correct his feet while they're forming. (I know in the scheme of things, this is one very small problem!)

The great thing is that when he's wearing the inserts, it really makes a difference in the way he stands & walks. So, that's great!

When he was just a couple years old & the stork bite he had on the upper part of his chest was really red & still a little puffy, I remember a little girl coming up to him & asking what it was. He didn't know any different & he said it was something that made his special. Unfortunately now, some of that innocence is gone.

I asked him if he wanted to tell his friends & he said they would say, "Ooo, Colby looks like a girl..." (They have a sort of heel on them)

You can only shield your children so much, but as a parent, I don't want them to get their feelings hurt by others.

2 comments:

Travis Erwin said...

Looks like y'all had a great time on vacation. Zalen was talking about Colby yesterday. I know y'all a re going to the farm this weekend and I only have Thursday off anyway but when y'all get back I'd like to take them to ride go-karts or something if Colby wants to and y'all don't mind.

Cornelius Crew said...

I had no idea yall were doing all that with Colby and his feet! We defintiely need to get together soon! Looks like ya'll had a great time, I would love to do the zip line thing, that looks like so much fun!!