Monday, July 21, 2008

Back Trouble

I went to see a neuro-surgeon this afternoon about the herniated disc in my lower back. To help alleviate the pain, I have tried: rolfing, spinal steroid injections, physical therapy, and accupuncture. Thankfully my husband was with me at the appointment to help ask questions. The doctor recommended that I have surgery soon.

This brings on lots of emotions and anxiety... Obviously, I want to feel better and not have so much pain in my back & my leg, but it's scary to think of going through surgery. He said I would be in the hospital for 3 days & then going home I wouldn't be able to drive or lift for 2 weeks. He said it should take 2 months to get back to normal, hopefully without pain. In the scheme of life, 2 months is very short. I have dealt with back pain for half of my life now & with this more extreme pain since October. So, putting it into perspective, 2 months of recovery is not that long.

The recovery is going to be a challenge. Obviously, if I'm going to do this, I want to do exactly what I'm instructed to do by the doctor. This means not picking up anything, including my children for at least 2 weeks. This will be hard. I know I have a very supportive family who will help me out with my kids, but the day-to-day things will be challenging for a while too!

So, when will I have this done? He said if I wanted, we could do it next week! That's way too soon & too scary... So, he said I can do it in August. I have a trip planned the first of August & then another weekend trip planned for a wedding. So, it looks like the 3rd or 4th week of August. I want to see Colby start Kindergarten on the 22nd of August, so it will probably be the 4th week. Then, I think, Colby & Abigail's birthdays are a few weeks after that, which would be a challenge. I guess there's never going to be a great time...

Dan feels confident this is what I should do & I appreciate his support! But, it is still scary for me at the moment! So, I will be asking for a calmness and peaceful feeling about the surgery, recovery and outcome.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi My Sister,
I am really glad you went to the doctor. I am thinking about you, and I love you very much.

Cornelius Crew said...

It is the right thing! You are in good hands. And I will help you with any and everything I can- Love you !

Travis Erwin said...

Any surgery is always scary, but sometimes you have no other choice. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help.